Today, organizations are operating in a VUCA world (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex & Ambiguous). Definitions of customer delight, satisfaction, happiness & loyalty are fast-changing. Organisations struggle to strike a fine balance between enhancing profits & retaining a loyal customer base. Design thinking is a solution focused and action-oriented methodology that has transformed business processes globally. It simplifies the most complex situation, invents new ways and delivers a seamless experience for customers.
We aligned 11 expert speakers who shared their experiences, discussed the challenges and nuances of design thinking in an elaborate manner. The attendees were enriched with knowledge and actionable takeaways that can be implemented in their respective work areas.
Esteemed speakers at the International Marketing Conclave 2018
- Ajay Aggarwal, Design Thinking Practice Lead, KPMG India
- Namrita Mahindro, Sr. GM, Mahindra & Mahindra
- Shrutin Shetty, Design Strategist, A-Team Business Consulting
- Avinash Jhangiani, CEO, Play2Transform
- Prof. Margaret Osborne, Seneca College, Canada
- Milind Shahane, CEO, Tata ClassEdge
- Dr. Kaustubh Dhargalkar, Founder, Potentials & Possibilities
- Babita Baruah, Managing Partner, GTB India, WPP
- Anurag Yadav, Country Sales Director & Global Sales Lead, British Telecom
- Y. Vikram Kumar, Country Manager, HPE India
- Milind Acharya, Head of Marketing, Bunge India Pvt. Ltd
The International Marketing Conclave 2018 was curated & led by Faculty experts from NLDIMSR.
The one-day International Marketing Conclave 2018 was curated by Dr. Joyeeta Chatterjee, HOD Marketing, NLDIMSR & Marketing Faculty, Prof. Rashmi Jain & Prof. Amit Shrivastava. The thought process was led by our Dean Academics, Dr. Dinesh Hegde. Over 45 students were involved in the organising & marketing of this colossal event supported by the NLDIMSR Marketing team – Ashutosh Singh, Abhijeet Athavale, Sanket Kondlekar & Mahendra Pandey, led by Amarkant Jain, Vice President – Marketing, NLDIMSR.
It is impossible to encapsulate an entire day in one blog post. However, we have tried to do so. Here are a few key takeaways from the sessions:
• Learn how to tell excellent stories! A person tells stories, connects with the heart, he goes beyond analytical thinking!
• From the last two years, KPMG has started performing micro-practices to embed Design Thinking in the organization and they are doing wonders today.
• Secret tools of design thinking: Empathize - Ideate - Prototype - Storytelling.
• Half-baked solutions can be taken to customers. Design thinking doesn't need structured ideas.
• When students join corporates, they should keep their individuality intact to keep freshness alone.
• On your journey towards Design thinking, you will fail because it takes a whole new approach & perspective. You must get up and get going again.
• Organizations lack the appetite to take risks. Design thinking can only be brought about by breaking resistance.
• The future for businesses will be dependent on the following 4 Cs: Creativity, Criticality, Collaborative, Curiosity.
• Coming up with one Big Idea is an oxymoron if someone follows Design Thinking then his one big 'never tested before' idea can never be the approach. Companies need to co-create with the customers and come up with a path-breaking set of ideas!
• Mantra for this age: Before the organization becomes User-Centered, they first need to empower their employees to become more empathetic.
• Design thinking is a way to address the world full of uncertainty. We need to bring back our creative genes to solve any problem.
• Throw all the books out of the window. Learn and study with hands. Only then creative receptors of the brain are put on the play.
• Empathy is missing inside the organization itself. Department heads need to do an empathy mapping to bring about changes or address problems.
• Indians focus more on Service Recovery rather than do it right in the first go. The ideology should be the other way around.
• Big organizations lack the agility to implement disruptive innovations, they need to leave the preconceived notions aside to create a perspective.
• Culture can be envisioned from the senior management, but implementation only comes when it's embraced across the organisation. It's about creating evangelists of design thinking of department heads.
• Customer experience is sporadic in India than consistent. When we meet customers we are up for giving solutions to problems but we need to ask more questions.
• The larger corporations have more resources but less risk appetite. Vice versa in small organizations.
• Design Thinking is the opposite of what you want to do for yourself but always for what you want to do for the world.
• Design Thinking is more about caring, whoever cares brings about change!
• The Key to happy customers Is simply put empathy.
• Design Thinking principally is the combination of Analytical and Intuitive Thinking.
• Customer complaints raise the bar for organizations and programmatic buying is the future.
• Design is the starting point for all activities, it creates differentiation which in turn ultimately becomes critical for the success of businesses.
• Design Thinking is incomplete without the amalgamation of Lean Innovation. The question is how do you use minimum resources, match up with the ideal speed to market and still do not lose out on customer centricity.
• Design thinking is a discipline that must be incorporated in all organizations, It’s a beautiful framework which combines theory with application.
• Try to Dovetail into people's habits rather than changing them for your products and services to sell!
• Customer centricity is a building block of design thinking, find a spot for your product or service in customer psychographic.
• Design Thinking in the simplest form is defining the vision of your organization from a user’s perspective.
• Authentic branding is about how to keep customers delighted.
• Legacy Approach Commitment Achievement.
• When you want to do something (Design Thinking), you need to be genuine and embrace it with open arms.
• One of the secrets to achieving the key milestones in a connected world is moving from a supplier’s perspective to a strategic partner’s perspective.
• Customers should always be at the core, focus on developing solutions and not products/services.
• Design Thinking is free flowing; you need to overcome the trust deficit because Consumers are only looking for brands they can trust!
• Design Thinking urges you to come out of your comfort zone. Be authentic & ensure that you start with a few passionate team members to move ahead with.
• Design Thinking is full of fun and if one enjoys the process, then they are bound to succeed and arrive at the desired results.
• Helping businesses transforms and take them to a new level needs the creation of a long-term competitive advantage.
• Focus on your core business operations while innovating so that you can sustain in the long run as a market leader.
• Explore technological advancements to upscale and generate new revenue streams while capitalizing on your technological strengths.
• Design Thinking is the beautiful framework that combines theory, a framework of academics to applied academics.
• It’s the people who make the organization, it starts with us and one has to live by himself to start Design Thinking in an organization.
• Design Thinking can be applied anywhere and in anything across the globe.
• Putting the consumer at the centre of your thinking is the paramount necessity for design thinking.
After an entire day of learning insights & discussing cases on Design Thinking, the attendees left energized and enriched.
A special mention for our fabulous organizing committee of students who were on their toes right from day one. This served as their stepping stone into understanding several concepts like event management, celebrity management, research, people management, team building, organizing, planning, implementation. They used offline, social media and digital tools to spread the word. At NLDIMSR we believe in hands-on, practical training and the International Marketing Conclave 2018 served as a perfect platform for the same.